What is cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a waxy, fat-like substance that’s found in all the cells in the body. Cholesterol travels through your bloodstream in small packages called lipoproteins. These packages are made up of fat on the inside and proteins on the outside.
Our bodies need some cholesterol to make hormones, vitamin D and substances that help to digest foods. But, too much cholesterol can build up on the walls of arteries and cause blood flow to slow. This can lead to a serious health event like a stroke or a heart attack.
People who actively manage their high cholesterol report better outcomes, fewer visits to the doctor and better quality of life. High cholesterol treatment also means you must take lifestyle changes seriously. Things you can do include:
- Eating healthy foods
- Exercising regularly
- Supporting your emotional health
- Taking medicine on time and following your doctor's orders
Reach your health & wellness goals
Get support no matter where you are, when you need it. These free resources can help you stay on track toward a healthier life:
- Link to free health & wellness apps
- Find articles and information about fitness and nutrition
- Sign up for Balance Rewards for healthy choices®, where you can earn points at Walgreens for health behaviors
- Sign up for the Walgreens Health & Wellness newsletter to get regular insights into living healthy
- Download the Walgreens mobile app to set up pill reminders to help you remember to take your medicine on time, no matter what pharmacy you use. The free mobile app also makes it easy to refill your Walgreens medicines by simply scanning your prescription label.