What is psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a chronic (long-term) disease of the immune system. The immune system is the body's defense against infection and disease. When the immune system detects cells that don't belong in the body (bacteria, viruses or foreign cells), it releases cells to attack them. The immune system also helps the body to recover and heal after any illness.
In people with psoriasis, the immune system does not work properly. It attacks healthy cells as well as foreign cells. This attack starts a number of events that make skin cells multiply too quickly, resulting in skin cells "stacking up" on the surface of the skin. This build-up of cells causes scaling on the skin's surface. Inflammation and redness around the scales is common. Sometimes these areas can crack and bleed. Many people can go through cycles of the disease, symptom free for a period of time and then the symptoms come back.
There is currently no cure for psoriasis. Most patients have received a treatment which may have included using a cream/ointment and applying directly to the skin. Newer injectable and oral targeted treatment options are available. More and more patients with psoriasis are able to get control of their symptoms and lead fulfilling lives.
Our clinical experts can help you:
- Understand your medicines and condition
- Learn how to stay on track with your medicines
- Prepare for your next visit – asking the right questions to your doctor.
Call us at 844.765.2891 with any questions or concerns about your medicines, side effects or managing your condition.
Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (CT)
Reach your health & wellness goals
Get support no matter where you are, when you need it. These free resources can help you stay on track toward a healthier life:
- Link to free health & wellness apps
- Find articles and information about fitness and nutrition
- Sign up for Balance Rewards for healthy choices®, where you can earn points at Walgreens for health behaviors
- Sign up for the Walgreens Health & Wellness newsletter to get regular insights into living healthy
- Download the Walgreens mobile app to set up pill reminders to help you remember to take your medicine on time, no matter what pharmacy you use. The free mobile app also makes it easy to refill your Walgreens medicines by simply scanning your prescription label.