What is rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic (long-term) autoimmune disease. This means that your immune system, which is designed to protect your body and attack diseases, attacks your body instead. RA attacks both the cartilage and the bones within your joints and causes permanent damage. RA typically affects the smaller joints first, like those in the hands, wrists, elbows and feet. Later, RA may spread to larger joints, such as knees and hips.
Pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of joint function are common symptoms of RA. These symptoms occur during periods known as flares. As the disease progresses, muscles and tendons become weak and deformities may develop. All these things can make daily activities more challenging.
There is still no cure for RA, but new and more targeted treatment options have become available. Early and aggressive treatment has allowed many patients to slow the progression of the disease. The right medicine therapy can help you reduce pain and damage, remain active and live a full life.
Our clinical experts can help you:
- Understand your medicines and condition
- Learn how to stay on track with your medicines
- Prepare for your next visit – asking the right questions to your doctor.
Call us at 844.765.2891 with any questions or concerns about your medicines, side effects or managing your condition.
Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (CT)
Reach your health & wellness goals
Get support no matter where you are, when you need it. These free resources can help you stay on track toward a healthier life:
- Link to free health & wellness apps
- Find articles and information about fitness and nutrition
- Sign up for Balance Rewards for healthy choices®, where you can earn points at Walgreens for health behaviors
- Sign up for the Walgreens Health & Wellness newsletter to get regular insights into living healthy
- Download the Walgreens mobile app to set up pill reminders to help you remember to take your medicine on time, no matter what pharmacy you use. The free mobile app also makes it easy to refill your Walgreens medicines by simply scanning your prescription label.